© 2021 | WUWF Public Media
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL 32514
850 474-2787
NPR for Florida's Great Northwest
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Local News

Stormy Weather On Tap For Wednesday


Residents in northwest Florida and south Alabama are being advised to watch the skies on Wednesday, for a likely round of severe weather.

Strong low pressure over the southern plains is moving off to the east-northeast, following a large cold front. Jack Cullen at the National Weather Service in Mobile says that combination will bring in the bad weather overnight into Wednesday morning.

“As far as rain, most areas probably will be between 1-3 inches,” said Cullen. “It’s moving – it’s not going to sit around too long. But there could be some isolated higher totals, 2-4 inches, but we’re not really expecting widespread flood threat.”

Also look for windy conditions over the next couple of days. Northwest Florida is under a wind advisory, at least through early Wednesday morning. Winds of 30-35 miles an hour are forecast, and with the thunderstorms along the front, could increase with damaging gusts of 60-70 mph.

Forecasters at the Storm Prediction Center say the areas at most risk could also see one to two inches of hail. Cullen says parts of Louisiana and Mississippi will be the first recipients.  And, after the front moves out we’ll see a move toward more fall-like weather: sort of.

“It will dry off and cool down a little bit; no significant cold weather is expected,” Cullen said. “Temps will drop Wednesday night into the upper 50s. Thursday’s highs will be in the low 70s, but the humidity will be much more comfortable.”

Cullen is advising residents to stay abreast of weather conditions, and be ready to take any needed action.

“Be weather aware,” said Cullen. “Make sure to have a way of receiving the warning, whether it’s a NOAA weather radio, a computer or your cellphone.”

Meanwhile, red flags are up at area beaches, indicating dangerous surf, with lifeguards on duty. And Fort Pickens remains closed to brace for the next round of stormy weather. It closed two weeks ago when the last round of storms produced high surf and buried the main roadway in sand.