State Opens Monoclonal Antibody Treatment Centers In Hudson, Tampa
More monoclonal antibody treatment centers are opening in Florida in response to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The state opened sites in Hudson, Tampa and Ormond Beach, on the east coast, today, adding to the five operating elsewhere.
Patients at high-risk of developing severe COVID-19 including those with obesity or lung disease can get the treatment. They'll receive antibodies designed to fight the coronavirus through an IV or a shot.
Gov. Ron DeSantis touted the therapy at the site in Pasco County.
"If you do it early in the infection period while the symptoms are still manageable, this has been shown consistently to reduce the chance of hospitalizations by 70 percent, and this is mostly high-risk people so that's a pretty significant thing."
But the treatment can't help patients already very ill.
DeSantis says most sites can serve more than 300 patients a day and says more centers will open this week. Health experts stress the therapy is NOT a substitute for getting vaccinated.
Here's a list of the sites and their hours:
- Hillsborough County, Kings Forest Park, 8008 E. Chelsea St., Tampa. Hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Fasano Center, 11611 Denton Ave., Hudson. Hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Brevard County, Kiwanis Island Park, 951 Kiwanis Island Park Rd., Merritt Island. Hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Broward County, C.B. Smith Park, 900 North Flamingo Rd., Pembroke Pines. Hours: 7 days a week; 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Duval County, Jacksonville Public Library, 304 N. Main St., Jacksonville. Hours: 7 days a week; 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Orange County, Camping World Stadium, 1 Citrus Bowl Place, Orlando. Hours: 7 days a week; 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Palm Beach County, West Gate Park, 3691 Oswego Ave., West Palm Beach . Hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Volusia County, Ormond Beach Senior Center and Neighborhood Dining Site, 351 Andrews St., Ormond Beach. Hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Copyright 2021 WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7. To see more, visit WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7.